BEWARE THIS IS PHISHING!
An email won’t say that, so how do you recognize it?
We can’t stress enough how important it is to be alert to phishing attacks.
How do you recognize a phishing attack?
– Check the sender: closely examine the email address of the sender, especially if the message seems urgent.
– Inspect links by hovering your mouse over them to see where they actually lead, without clicking.
– Watch for language errors; official entities typically have correct spelling and grammar.
A real-world example: Kevin’s mistake.
Kevin, an employee, receives an email that appears to come from the IT department.
The email warns of a security breach and asks him to click on a link to reset his password.
Without thinking, Kevin clicks on the link and enters his information.
– Unauthorized access to company systems
– Risk of financial losses
– Potential leak of confidential data
– Reputational damage to the company
– Potential loss of customer trust
– Possible legal consequences
– Increased costs for damage mitigation
Another real-world example: Marieke’s mistake.
Marieke, a financial employee, receives an email that appears to be from the company’s director.
The email asks her to urgently make a payment to a supplier.
The email contains a link to complete the transaction.
Marieke clicks on the link and follows the instructions.
– Unauthorized financial transaction executed
– Risk of severe financial losses for the company
– Reputational damage for both Marieke and the company
– Breach of trust within the team
– Possible legal consequences, such as fines or liabilities
– Necessity for an internal investigation, costing extra time and resources
– Increase in security measures, leading to higher operational costs
🛡️ How does Digitaal Knooppunt protect you?
– 📦Cybersecurity packages**: Our packages are designed to protect you against various forms of cyberattacks, including phishing.
– 🎓Training and education**: We offer training to your employees to make them aware of the risks and teach them how to recognize phishing attacks.
📚 Why is education crucial?
– 🛑Prevention is better than cure: If employees know how to recognize an attack, many problems can be prevented.
– 👤The human factor: Often, the greatest security risk in an organization is human negligence or ignorance.